This week is the 50th Anniversary of National Poison Prevention Week. At Impact Urgent Care – located on Huebner Rd. – we want to make sure we are doing our part to spread the word and let people know what they should be on the lookout for in their own homes.
The following household items are especially hazardous. They should be bought in small quantities and any unneeded extras should be discarded. Make sure they are always out of a child’s reach:
- Windshield washer solutions
- Drain cleaners
- Toilet bowl cleaners
- Artificial nail removers
- Topical anesthetics (i.e. Products that may be used for sunburn pain)
- Medicines, medicines, medicines.
Some of the following common household items are also poisonous to children:
- Automatic dishwasher and other detergents
- Furniture polish
- Perfume & aftershave
- Gasoline, kerosene, and lamp oil
- Paint and paint thinner
- Alcoholic beverages
- Miniature batteries (such as watch batteries)
- Flaking paint
- Cigarettes, tobacco products
- Rat and mouse poison
In case of a life threatening poisoning incident, immediately call 911. If there appear to be no symptoms, but you want to air on the side of caution, call the poison center 1–800-222‑1222. Different types of poisoning require different methods of immediate treatment. For a listing of those please see the American Academy of Pediatrics website.